The Old and Abbey Church is situated in the centre of the town of Arbroath adjacent to Arbroath Abbey where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. In fact, the original church on the site was built on several abbey buildings and an abbey wall passed under it. This orginal church was further developed in 1878, becoming the Abbey Parish Church. Hall complexes were added during the 19th and 20th centuries to give us the building we know today. In 1990, the Abbey Church united with the Old Church to become our Old and Abbey Parish Church.
The Old and Abbey’s parish covers the east and north-east of the town including the areas of Cliffburn, Hayshead and Ladyloan as well as the town centre and harbour area. There are few residential properties in close proximity to the church. Current church membership stands at just under four hundred.
Although we are proud of our long history, we would consider ourselves to be forward-looking with a resolve to reach out into our community, encouraging people to see church as relevant in their lives today.